Directions for questions next 5 Verbal Questions: Sentences given in each verbal question, when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. The first and last sentences are 1 and 6, and the four in-between are labeled A, B, C and D. Choose the most logical order of these four sentences from among the four given choices to construct a coherent paragraph from sentences 1 to 6.
1.  India’s experience of industrialization is characteristic of the difficulties faced by a newly independent developing country.
A. In 1947, India was undoubtedly an under-developed country with one of the lowest per capita incomes in the world.
B. Indian industrialization was the result of a conscious, deliberate policy of growth by an indigenous political elite.
C. Today India ranks fifth in the international community of nations if measured in terms of purchasing power.
D. Even today, however, the benefits of Indian industrialization since independence have not reached the masses.
6. Industrialization in India has been a limited success; one more example of growth without development.
2.  The necessity for regional integration in South Asia is underlined by the very history of the last 45 years since the liquidation of the British empire in this part of the world.
A. After the partition of the Indian subcontinent, Pakistan was formed in that very area which the imperial powers had always marked out as the potential base for operations against the Russian power in Central Asia.
B. Because of the disunity and ill-will among the South Asian neighbours, particularly India and Pakistan, great powers from outside the area could meddle into their affairs and thereby keep neighbours apart.
C. It needs to be added that it was the bountiful supply of sophisticated arms that emboldened Pakistan to go for warlike bellicosity towards India.
D. As a part of the cold war strategy of the US, Pakistan was sucked into Washington’s military alliance spreading over the years.
6. Internally too, it was the massive induction of American arms into Pakistan which empowered the military junta of that country to stub out the civilian government and destroy democracy in Pakistan.
3.  The success of any unit in a competitive environment depends on prudent management sources.
A. In this context, it would have been more appropriate, if the concept of accelerated depreciation, together with additional incentives towards capital allowances for recouping a portion of the cost of replacements out of the current generations, had been accepted.
B. Added to this are negligible retention of profits because of inadequate capital allowances and artificial disallowances of genuine outflows.
C. One significant cause for poor generation of surpluses is the high cost of capital and its servicing cost.
D. The lack of a mechanism in Indian tax laws for quick recovery of capital costs has not received its due attention.
6. While this may apparently look costly from the point of view of the exchequer, the ultimate cost to the government and the community in the form of losses suffered through poor viability will be prohibitive.
Read the rest of this entry »Tags: CAT verbal Questions, sample verbal questions, verbal questions, verbal questions for cat