Very often we find the people around us have a real good knowledge of English and we feel shy and unsure about our English vocabulary. Believe me many people I know have faced it at some point in time. The solution to such a problem is to improve your English vocabulary. It’s not something like rocket science that you can’t understand. If you have the desire, it’s not very difficult to improve your vocabulary. From my own experience and my observation, I am suggesting few tips to improve your vocabulary. Start following these tips and within few days you will be start realizing the change in yourself. I am sure that will also boost up your confidence and score in competitive examinations like CAT
Tips to improve your vocabulary
1. Make a habit of learning 1 new word each day. Your habit to learn new words will take you a long way. Believe me. You may think where I shall get a new word each day. I have a solution for you – FireUp Free SMS Service. Just click onto this link and register yourself and you shall receive a new word with it’s meaning and usage each day on your mobile number. It’s anytime anywhere learning. Make a habit of learning a new word each day and try using them in your daily life. Try to use them in your written and oral communications.
2. Reading is a wonderful habit. Read as much as you can. If you can’t understand a meaning; mark the word, find the meaning and try remembering it. The more you read; the more you see the usage of words; the more you learn. You can read anything starting from newspapers, story books, magazines, novels and so on. However, to start with you must read few vocabulary builder books. I have read a few very good books on vocabulary and I always suggest them to others for improving their vocabulary. I am sharing them with you as well.
3. Try learning the roots. The roots are the origins of the words from Latin or Greek or any other language. You needn’t know which language it comes from but must know the meaning of it. They give you an understanding about the word. For example “photo” means light. Hence words containing with “photo” have something to do with light. Try knowing the “building blocks” of the English language – prefixes, suffixes and root words – it helps you to get a better understand a word’s meaning and spelling convention. For example “pre” means before and “post” means after. Try using technology and visual effects to learn quickly. Using technology tools like CDs, DVDs and CBTs you can get an enriching experience of learning along with audio and visual effects. You can try using this to help yourself learn better. An audio-visual learning makes learning faster and simpler.
4. Using flip-cards. Well using a flip-card is quite simple. Take a card (or a paper) write down 10 words along with the meanings and keep it with you. Whenever you are free try glancing through the cards. You can write as many word meanings in a card as you want. You can nicely prepare a bunch of flip cards and keep them with you. It really helps.
5. Talking is practicing. Talk as much as you can in English. Initially it may happen that, you will use inapt or out of context words. However, it’s important to regularly use the newly learned words in our daily communication. Otherwise we’ll unable to retain them in our memory.
Hope this will help you solve your problem of vocabulary. If you want help on any other topic, please post it as comment below. I’ll surely try to help you.